by Tammy Drennan
A new study, reports Home School Legal Defense Association — Exploring Academic Outcomes of Homeschooled Students,* by Michael F. Cogan shows that homeschoolers are not just succeeding in college, they’re continuing their above-average tradition.
- Homeschoolers scored higher on the ACT (26.5) compared with the overall student body (25).
- Homeschoolers earned more college credit (14.7) prior to their freshman year compared to the student body (6).
- Homeschooled students earned a higher fall semester GPA (3.37) when compared to other freshman students (3.08).
- Homeschooled students earned a higher first-year GPA (3.41) when compared to other freshman students (3.12).
- Homeschooled students earned a higher fourth-year GPA (3.46) when compared to other freshman students who completed their fourth year (3.16).
The evidence for independent education just keeps mounting. The evidence damning education by the state also keeps mounting.
As the state gasps and grasps, we must all help to keep the option of freedom before parents. If they don’t know it can work, if they don’t know how many others are doing it, they can’t make the choice.